Monday, October 27, 2014

Earlier today, I somehow or other got to thinking about how Prince of Egypt is such a great movie, and I decided that I would make a list of my top 10 animated movies. I have ranked each based on three categories; plot, humor, and, of course, soundtrack! I'll be honest, I typically weigh the latter two much more than the first. A score of 1 under a category means I didn't notice it at all, while a score of 10 means it couldn't possibly be any better. (Sorry for all the random extra numbers on the side. I cant figure out how to get rid of them)

  1. Toy Story
  2. Plot:10
    Humor:10
    Soundtrack:6
    Total: 26

    "Hey, Ham! Look! I'm Picasso!"
    "Eeeeh, I don't get it"
    "You uncultured swine!!"

    How do they even come up with these things?! The frequency with which I and my sisters quote this movie might be verging on the edge of excessive if such a thing were possible. If you have never seen it then you really must as soon as you possibly can get your hands on it. Who cares if you have a test tomorrow?! Its a classic!


  3. Toy Story 2
  4.  
Plot:10
Humor:10
Soundtrack:6
Total: 26
    The second was just as good as the first! (The third was really good also, but didn't make the list because I am even more prejudiced against third installments than second ones and it made me cry too much)

  1.  
  2. The Prince of Egypt
    Plot:10
    Humor:5
    Soundtrack:10
    Total: 25 

    The soundtrack alone could put this movie on the list, but the the amount of feeling that they were able to capture is incredible. My sisters and I don't quote this movie, but we sing the songs all the time.
  3. How to Train Your Dragon
    1.  Plot:8
      Humor:9
      Soundtrack:8
      Total: 25

      "Thank you, useless reptile"

      I am especially found of dry and sarcastic humor which is sprinkled generously throughout this movie. It kills me every time I watch it. While there aren't any singalongs, the instrumental pieces that make up the soundtrack are haunting. 

  4. Tarzan 
    Plot:7
    Humor:8
    Soundtrack:10
    Total: 25

    "Are you sure this water is sanitary? It looks questionable to me."

    Little Tantor is quite possibly my favorite character, with little Turk in close second with her skeptical, "Okaay. He's yoour baby!" The very best part of the movie, however, is the soundtrack. I like a lot of Phil Collins' work, but I only know his name from favoriting all of the songs from the Tarzan soundtrack on Pandora.
  5. Finding Nemo
  6.  
    Plot:9
    Humor:10
    Soundtrack:5
    Total: 24

    Pixar has the most imaginative staff of any company to have ever existed. Vegetarian Sharks with support groups? It's brilliant, and I tell you what; if there's one address that the people of this world know better than any other, it's P. Sherman's at 42 Wallaby Way, Sydney.
     
  7. Mulan
  8.  
    Plot:7
    Humor:8
    Soundtrack:9
    Total: 24  

    "Dishonor! Dishonor on you! Dishonor on your cow!" 

    Not only to we quote this movie and sing it's songs all the time, but, given the inclination, my sisters and I could probably quote this movie from start to finish. We've actually attempted to do it a few times, but usually get bored after about 15 minutes.

  9. Anastasia
    1. Plot:8
      Humor:7
      Soundtrack:9
      Total: 24

      "You know, you really should watch your blood pressure. My nephew Izzy just keeled over mid-mango. Stress, it's a killer, sir. And he was a fruit bat. No meat. No blood even."

      Bartok is quite entertaining in a creepy kind of way, and is probably my favorite character. The whole movie was very colorful and mesmerizing, and the songs are hard to stop singing. I think this movie is part of the reason why I'm trying to learn Ruski and definitely the reason why I love the name Anya.
  10. The Incredibles
  11.  
    Plot:9
    Humor:9
    Soundtrack:5
    Total: 24

    "I nevah look back, dahling. It distwacts fwum the now."

    This is another one we could probably quote all the way through, but we simply haven't the attention span to get much more than 4 or 5 scenes in. The fight between Bob and Helen is always the most fun anyway.

  12. Ratatouille
    Plot:9
    Humor:6
    Soundtrack:8
    Total: 23

    "If you focus on what you left behind you will never see what lies ahead!"

    All around cute movie with a great soundtrack. It's funny how creatures we generally see as nasty little monsters can be so cute and cuddly when they're animated. 

 As you can see, I had a little trouble breaking ties. They're all so good, that it's hard to rank them against each other. If there are any titles on this list which you haven't seen for some lamentable reason, my recommendation is that you remedy the situation with all expediency.


 Honorable Mentions (Not necessarily in order)
  1. Despicable Me
  2. Ice Age 
  3. Tangled

No comments:

Post a Comment